Nutfield Church Primary is an Inclusive School
Our school is an inclusive school; our Inclusion Leader is Mrs Benjamin. This commitment to educational inclusion is an integral part of every aspect of the school’s policy and practice. This means that equality of opportunity must be a reality for our children. We promote this through the attention we pay to the different, identified groups of children within our school:
- those from all socio-economic backgrounds;
- minority ethnic and faith groups;
- children who need support to learn English as an additional language;
- children learning in English as an additional language;
- children with special educational needs;
- gifted and talented children;
- any child at risk of disaffection or exclusion.
The National Curriculum and Early Years Foundation Stage are our starting points in planning a curriculum to meet the specific needs of individuals and groups of children. The school has implemented the flexibility recommended by ‘Excellence and Enjoyment’ to promote cross-curricular links, making the curriculum more accessible and offering opportunities for creativity.
We do this by:
- setting suitable learning challenges;
- responding to children’s diverse learning needs;
- overcoming potential barriers to learning and assessment for individuals or groups of pupils;
- providing curricular opportunities beyond the national curriculum to meet the needs of individuals or groups;
- providing targeted additional extra curricular support.
Achieving Educational Inclusion:
We achieve educational inclusion by continually reviewing what we do, and through asking these key questions:
- Do all our children achieve as much as they can ?
- Are there differences in the achievement of different groups of children ?
- What are we doing for those children we know are not achieving their best ?
- Are our actions effective ?
- Are parents actively involved in the education of their child ?
All staff members work together to provide an inclusive curriculum. Nutfield Church (C of E) Primary School is committed to the training of all staff in meeting a range of pupil needs. Planning for inclusive education is included in the School Development Plan. The schools’ Accessibility Plan is developed and reviewed by the Leadership Team in consultation with the Governors and the wider school community.
Individual children in our school may have identified / diagnosed disabilities and consequently need additional support and resources. The school is committed to providing an environment that allows these children full access to all areas of learning. Our admission policy is inclusive and establishes a commitment to make “reasonable adjustments” for pupils with a disability.
Teachers and all school staff modify teaching and learning opportunities as appropriate for these children. Teachers’ planning ensures that children with disabilities are given the opportunities to develop skills in all aspects of the curriculum. When necessary the school supports learning by closely working with appropriate external specialists.
learning opportunities for all children:
Nutfield Church (C of E) Primary School ensures that learning opportunities for all children:
- take account of their pace of learning and equipment used;
- take account of the effort and concentration required;
- are adapted or offer alternative activities where children are unable or have difficulties manipulating tools or equipment effectively;
- allow opportunities for all to take part in educational visits and other school activities;
- use assessment techniques that reflect individual needs and abilities.